Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sugar-free Vegan Cookie

I found this awesome recipe from irocksowhat.com. I made it the first time for my daughter, who needs to take a healthy snack with her to swim team meets. This recipe is really versatile, because you can add lots of different things to make it your own! I didn't really change the recipe itself, but instead of using already prepared applesauce, I steamed my own apples and blended them in my blender. I feel better making it all from scratch. Especially when it only takes an extra 5 minutes to do it myself. Also, I thought of several variations that I am sharing with you.
Anyhow, my children, ages 5 and 7, absolutely loved these cookies and so did I!

Ingredients:
3 apples (chopped with skins on and steamed until soft, then blended in food processor or blender)
or 1 cup applesauce (or pumpkin puree)
2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed (not blended)
1 1/2 cup whole rolled oats (I use organic, from bulk section at Earth Fare or Whole Foods)
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon (or apple pie spice blend, pumpkin pie spice blend)

optional add ins, up to a total of 1/2 cup:
1/4 cup chopped dried fruit (cherries, craisins, raisins, blueberries...)
1/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts...)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (carob chips, cacao nibs...)
1/4 cup nut butter (peanut, almond...)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Since there is no fat in these cookies, they will stick to any other surface.
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes. This will allow some of the moisture to enter the oats and the mixture will thicken up a bit. Then, spoon out 1 tablespoon sized mounds onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet. I like using a mini ice cream scoop, as the mixture is rather wet and this give the cookies some uniformity.
Finally, bake for about 35 mintues. ENJOY!

yields: approx 2 dozen small cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment